Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Instacare Nightmare

So over the weekend Hillie has been battling the croup. It is a horrible cough that makes them sound like baby seals barking. It usually only is bad when they are sleeping. It started to worsen and yesterday when I came home from work it had become so bad that she was struggling to just breath. I immediatley loaded the kids in the car and we took off to Instacare. When we got there they took her back immediately and put her on a breathing treatment and followed up with a Dexmethazone shot which was suppose to open her airways and help her breath. Her oxygen levels were WAY below normal and her heart rate was WAY above normal. They wanted to observe her for a couple hours to make sure she didn't have any sort of reaction. After a couple of hours she showed no improvement and the Dr. instructed us to go up to Primary Childrens and she would probably have to stay the night. It was about 9:30 at this point and we were not looking forward to having to do this all over again at Primary's, so the Dr called ahead to tell them we were coming. Once he talked to the Dr up there, they decided to try the breathing treatment one more time. If it didn't work then they would just admit us right away. I thought that sounded like a good plan and so we did the treatment a second time. Thank Goodness, she finally showed signs of improvement. They said that we could take her home and if it worsened then to go straight to Primary's. I was relieved to see her sleep well and the weezing became less intense. She still is not 100%, but at least she can breath much better.
I do not do well seeing my babies get so sick and feeling so scared. I became quite emotional and I was glad to have Micah there. I can't think of anything more upsetting than to see your child suffer and feel so helpless.
I was so greatful for the nurses and the Dr. there at the Instacare. They were so sweet and VERY attentive to Hilie's needs and our own. I hope that now we can all get a good nights sleep.

5 comments:

  1. jenny, that is very scary... and heart breaking. i don't even like reading about sick kids, so i know how hard it is on you watching her struggle. i'm glad to hear she is improving! soon she'll be back to 100%! you take care of yourself too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ugh! That does not sound fun. I know exactly how you feel though. I get so nervous when my kids get sick, especially since the febrile seizure that happened once. Anyway, I hope she is on the mend! Maybe when our kids get better, we can play date! Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh that is so sad. I'm glad to hear she is better now. I am so glad Micah was there with you. I was picturing you hauling all 3 kids to instacare- no fun!! (Wait til you have this 4th one- going out is quite an outing!!)

    ReplyDelete
  4. that sounds so much like my boys!! I didnt know you had a blog. I hope you check out mine. utahgrafffamily.blogspot.com. Congrats on being prego with a boy!! How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We have dealt with breathing treatments from all of the kids even have two of them for their own treatments at home. So scary sorry you had to go through that, especially pregnant! I hope she gets better soon. Croupe is the worse

    ReplyDelete